[CentOS] Server Specs..

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:16:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recently a discussion around server
>> specifications were floated with mention
>> of routines to stress the configurations.
>>
>> Do these stress suites exist for server
>> testing?
>
> http://www.stresslinux.org/
>
> IMHO, contains one of the best collection of linux based stress
> testing & verification tools on a convenient CD. I use it to pound on
> off-lease servers before we accept them from our Vendor.

Interesting.. thanks..

I was hoping that the testing would include validation testing.  I'm
looking for a package that lets one easily create tests such as:

* Is /var filesystem 1G or larger
* Does user xxx exist?
* Do packages x, y, z exist at the indicated versions?
* Is IPTABLES enabled on bootup?  Is it running currently?

I've been using Perl Test:Harness for some of these, and it works to a
point, but creating new tests is somewhat laborious and requires
familiarity with Perl. I.e., I can do it so that means I end up doing
it...

I wonder what the validation system is for CentOS?  Such a suite would
be useful to me to convince others that CentOS works identically --
bug for bug -- with RHEL.