[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Feb 15 14:37:21 UTC 2011

On 2/15/2011 8:59 AM, robert mena wrote:
> That's a lovely story.
>
> But if that applies to CentOS core team (i.e they do not want to
> receive money) why don't use the money to hire more staff to do some
> of their tasks, specially those that they haven't been able to do in
> the way they would like them to be done.
>
> But it seems that I am barking at the wrong tree and find a way to pay
> RedHat for all CentOS machine that I have, since this is a 8 or 80
> matter for some (i.e shut up and take whatever you get  X pay
> something that you can't afford).
I believe this was stated some time ago. Money equals 'Accounting' and a
LOT of added complexities. Hiring staff comes with even more of a time
sync (withholdings perhaps across multiple nations, insurances,
unemployment insurance... basically a whole plethora of addition
accounting... even freelancers require accounting) and suddenly a
'second job' instead of the situation as it exist now. I do believe they
are happy to receive nice servers, so if you wanted to start a
collection to buy them a really nice new server, I doubt that would go
to waste... or better yet ask what equipment needs exist.

However, if somebody thinks that a project like this should be a paid
project, the source is available for anyone to introduce a new flavor.
And, alternatively there are the RH subscriptions to answer immediate
needs... where you can sit around asking "When is RHEL (insert next
number here) going to be released?"

If we can all just chill a bit and not create issues on this list that
distract the folks putting it all together, then they will in theory get
it done faster!

John Hinton