[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Feb 16 15:11:22 UTC 2011

Hi David,

its me again :)

On 02/15/2011 05:11 PM, David Hornford wrote:
> "When will CentOS 6 be out?"
> "The CentOS team does not have a fixed release schedule following an
> upstream release. The release timeframe is based upon the number of bugs

In many cases's its still helpful to have some sort of a timeframe in
mind. Eg. for 5.6 we were hoping to start seeding last weekend, but it
looks like were slipping 3 - 4 days on that now.

Similarly with C6, getting a release ready for end of this month isnt
hard and *should* happen.

In many cases, the slippage happens with a : people doing this just
didnt have enough time during the period. And that isnt, contrary to
what many people think, an easy problem to solve. For every new person
who becomes a part of the process - it needs a significant time on the
part of people doing this stuff to bring that person upto speed. So
doing this at a time when its pretty much nose on the grinding stone
kind of pace, isn't ideal. On the other hand, having people who stick
around and understand the process, when there isnt a deadline looming is
hard and counter productive. A lesson learnt the hard way with the c6
effort in the first few weeks.

Anyway, I'm not trying to solve any issue here - just putting my
perspective across.

- KB