[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Karanbir Singh loony at loonybin.org
Wed Feb 16 15:33:26 UTC 2011

KB,

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 09:58:31 am Karanbir Singh wrote:
<snip>
> Now the bit that really cheeses me off is that we cant go through the
> same loop again and again everytime someone new comes along and cant be
> bothered to see what has happened in the past.
<more really well written message removed>

This is off list since I didn't want to start an argument with anyone. I was
(until Oracle pretty efficiently pissed everyone off) in the same boat as you.
In my experience there are some people out there that are willing to help out,
but they unfortunately always seem to offer their help when you are already
working hard.
I've been on the centos lists for quite a while and I've seen the offers for
help and then how it just fizzles out. But all these loops were just before a
major release. After that, people are off upgrading their own boxes to the
latest release, working around the changes that happened and so on.

We had similar issues and we got it (mostly) solved by asking people to help
between major releases. That way, we had time to focus on getting the bugs
fixed that were always reported right after a new release and then when there
was less work (I'd assume for you that is a few weeks after 5.6 and 6.0 are
out) you can spend some time on teaching others what they have to do. It
solves the problem of doing double duty as well as reduces the number of
people that offer help just so they can get quicker access or get their name
into the code with as little effort as possible. Its really a win-win - you
get fewer people to guide and the people you do get are of higher "quality" -
more motivated, more focused and fewer that take cheap shots to get their name
into a project somewhere...

Thanks for all your hard work on the project,

Peter.

--
Censorship: noun, circa 1591. a: Relief of the burden of independent thinking.