[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Feb 16 17:37:34 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 11:17 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 14:58 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> Nothing happened, not one person beyond the
>> usual-people actually did anything.
>
> When you have time please tell all of us, preferably on this list, what
> resources you need and how 'ordinary' people can help. Give us a list of
> tasks that need doing and optimistically some will volunteer for some of
> the tasks.
>
> Many of us would willing do the odd task regardless of how boring or
> menial it might be. More enlighten others will gladly do other things to
> help.
>
> Perhaps a mailing list entitle Centos Devoir (home work / jobs to do)
> could carry a regular list of jobs that need doing ?

Ordinary people can help by having a bugs.centos.org account, by testing
the things that are reported to see if they are issues, etc.

If they are issues, you could search through the Red Hat bugzilla and
see if this issue has been reported upstream and if there is a fix.

You could update the CentOS bugs software with the RH Bugzilla link so
people can look both places.

If you have the knowledge and ability to create patches, you could see
if you can fix said problem, test it in a package that you build.  If it
works, you can attach any any patches you recommend to our bug system
and/or RH's bugzilla.

That is one way anyone can help.

Here is another ...

We need people to answer questions on our Forums when users need help.
If you have knowledge about how to fix things, give the CentOS community
a hand there.

The people that we add to our inner team come from doing those kind of
things.  We see them taking intuitive there and we ask them to do more
things as time goes on.  That is how it works ... no more magic to it
than that.