[CentOS] Software RAID Level 1, smartd and changing dev numbers

James Smallacombe james at sicom.com
Wed Feb 16 18:43:16 UTC 2011

> On 2/16/2011 12:09 PM, compdoc wrote:
>>> The problem is, the kernel seemingly randomly switches between
>>> /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc for these devices.
>>
>> I use the UUID in fstab rather than '/dev/sda', etc
>
> In this case it would be something you give to mdadm to add a device
> back to a set.  And you'd have to know which one in a rotation was
> coming back to which machine, something you wouldn't otherwise have to
> track since it is going to overwrite everything with the re-sync anyway.

We do track (and physically label) that, because there are drives of
different size/manufacturer/geometry on different servers, so that would
be ok.

However, we're not set up for UUIDs, the fstab just shows /dev/md0, etc.
Perhaps this is the answer for us, but I'll have to look into how tricky
it would be to migrate roughly 50 production servers.

Thanks again!