[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Feb 16 23:32:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 03:54:20PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> And yet, fairly often in these conversations, paying for an RHEL support
> subscription is suggested as a solution.

	Yep.  And I'm the very first to point out that if you're going
	to whine, cry, bitch and complain, go do it to someone paid to
	listen to you.  Part of the cost of the support entitlement at
	Redhat goes to paying people to man phones and sales reps to
	deal with such.  After all, Redhat is a publicly traded
	company, they would love to have your business _and_ you'd
	actually be supporting CentOS' upstream provider in the process.

	But the concept of throwing money at CentOS, a *volunteer*
	project, in the deluded and mistaken belief that it will fix all
	the wrongs in the world is just ludicrous.  With money comes
	overhead, management, accountability, multi-national taxation,
	ad nauseum.  Oh, and the fact that it doesn't solve what people
	perceive as "issues".

							John

--
I try to treat whoever I meet as an old friend. This gives me a genuine
feeling of happiness.  It is the practice of compassion."

-- His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama, from "Compassion and the Individual"