[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Feb 18 21:36:06 UTC 2011

On Friday, February 18, 2011 01:39:48 pm Farkas Levente wrote:
> and please don't ask me to why. just to mention some very basic thing
> where is the mock config files? and i can ask dozens of such questions
> (what is did previously and i'm the only only one who send detail
> description how to rebuild rhel-6...

A mock config for C5 building was posted, to the Centos-devel list, the appropriate place for such.

Here's a link to an archive copy:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2007-August/001910.html

Read through that thread again....shouldn't take too long, since there's only two messages.  Note the date, and note the posters.

For building a 5.6 of your own this should help, along with the el5 buildsys RPM (which only contains requires for the basic buildsys) that's already been posted about.

For building a 6 of your own, the Fedora process, while tuned to a much larger project, uses koji and all that entails, is available and completely open (to the best of my knowledge).  The Mass Rebuild scripts live at http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=releng

Note that a full koji is fully required by those scripts, but there they are.  Far more than just a simple mock config.....but that's because of the size of the project, and the fact that it has a distributed build system.

There is plenty of documentation on how to do a Fedora rebuild yourself on the Fedora project wiki.  And, not to beat a dead horse, but EL6 is based off F12, and thus, once you have comps and a few things, in theory the Fedora infrastructure, loaded with all the buildrequires (a larger package set than the distributed SRPMS) for EL6, would churn out EL6 builds and composes.

Now, I mentioned the build requires.  Poking around in my local copy of the 6rolling tree of SL, I find that there are packages required to build SL6 that are not part of SL6, and live in a separate directory ( ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/build/ to be specific).

I don't see the mock config or build scripts, however; perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.....