[CentOS] strace issue in 5.5?

Dr. Ed Morbius dredmorbius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 23:36:32 UTC 2011

on 13:29 Sat 19 Feb, Eric Gerzon (ericgerzon at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get some more information about the following issue:
>
> # strace -p 2256
> attach: ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, ...): Operation not permitted

As root?  (Prompt suggests yes).

Is another strace attached to the process already (or gdb session)?

Some kernel hardening / selinux features may interfere with this as
well, though I don't know specifics.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power