[CentOS] openoffice & command line printing

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 20 00:00:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:44:42 -0600
Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, I have had difficulty stepping out of the
> CentOS rpm barrier in the past so I did not try.  Knowing you have
> succeeded gives me some confidence to proceed.  Does OpenOffice have yum
> repository or do you recommend downloading the source code. Looks like
> their download website is down until the 21st of February.

openoffice.org 3.3.0 is currently available for download from this url:

http://download.openoffice.org/

I just checked.

libreoffice 3.3.0 is currently available for download from this url:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

I just checked.

You can download the binary rpms for whichever distribution you are using from
there.  For example, if I want libreoffice 3.3.0 for Linux x86_64 architecture
I would download this:

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.3.0/rpm/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz

That gets you an archive with a bunch of rpms in it.  (Look in the RPMS
directory).  Just install those rpms with "rpm -i *.rpm".  Then install the
redhat rpm in the desktop-integration directory that's also included in that
archive.  (That created the menu items for you.)

You can also install the English language helppack if you wish.  Again, for
example:

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.3.0/rpm/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86-64_helppack-rpm_en-US.tar.gz

Install the rpm that you find in that archive the same way.

That's all there is to it.  Don't let the long list of downloads scare you.
Just find the architecture and the language that you want and download that.
It's only two archives if you want the helppack.

> How do you like libreoffice compared to openoffice?

I don't see much of a difference, for what I use it for.
--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ www.melvilletheatre.com