[CentOS] initlog is deprecated

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:53:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  good call! yes this is a custom ssh. It's a version that has LPK
> capabilities (LDAP public keys) included.  It is the product of an rpm
> built from a spec file and tarball that was patched with LPK.
>
> [root at LCENT01:~] #rpm  -qa | grep ssh
> openssh-askpass-gnome-5.6p1-7.el5.em2
> openssh-askpass-5.6p1-7.el5.em2
> openssh-server-5.6p1-7.el5.em2
> openssh-5.6p1-7.el5.em2
> openssh-debuginfo-5.6p1-7.el5.em2
> openssh-clients-5.6p1-7.el5.em2

There are significant differences between OpenSSH 5.x, which is in
RHEL 6 and which we can expect in CentOS 6, and OpenSSH 4.x as
deployed in RHEL 5.

One rather startling difference is that remote SSH commands, such as
'ssh targethost echo $PATH', will not have the contents of your remote
servers's ".bashrc" read in for bash users. The handling of .bashrc
*CHANGED* between OpenSSH releases. This caused me a big problem a
week ago. RHEL 6 addressed this by updates to bash, but we're very
unlikely to see those backported to RHEL 5 and thus CentOS 5.

This kind of mismatched feature handling is why updating single
components can become a very serious a nightmare in the long run.