[CentOS] Alternative to cPanel

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Wed Feb 23 18:47:20 UTC 2011

On 2/23/2011 9:49 AM, Trutwin, Joshua wrote:

> I was leaning towards webmin/virtualmin but thought I'd check with
> this list
> for any suggestions.  Had bad experiences with Plesk from a while
> ago so leaving that off the table.  We have experience with cPanel
> through another fail host, it's ok but too much stuff and too
> expensive.
>
> Josh

Josh,

I have been running webmin/virtualmin/usermin for a number of years. A
few things factored into my decision. The main one was I didn't want to
be stuck inside of a 'box'. So far, 'almost anything' you want to do via
command line has no interference with what is done via the interface.
Also, within most of the modules, is the ability to simply open the
config files for the service and do direct edits. The Webmin project is
very active. If you have a problem or perceived bug, and no one else
gets around to answering, you will normally hear back from Jamie Cameron
the man behind it all, within hours of making a post. That is very rare
these days. Basically, I find the system very flexible and highly
configurable. In fact, there are several of my ideas for the system that
have been put into place. In fact one, years ago, was to get the CentOS
OS recognized within the system and it was done and of course still does.

The downside is that the interfaces are a bit geeky. One thing I would
like to see is a total rewrite of all the module interfaces in Usermin
in an attempt to better define things for the layman. Yes, the end user
can do things that you allow. No, most end users won't really understand
what they're trying to do. I think those 'boxes' in Plesk and cPanel
better address those items due to the nature of 'boxes'. When I say
'boxes', I'm referring to the Windows world config boxes that pop up
forcing you down a particular road with no method for customizations.

John Hinton