[CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 09:19:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 22:47 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Player isn't good for most of my usage because most of the time I don't want the
> console display at all - I just connect to the guests remotely with
> freenx/ssh/vnc when necessary.  And I have Server 1.x setups that have run for
> years with no attention or downtime.  I agree that ESXi is better, but it wasn't
> free when I built the VMs and I'm running some native Centos stuff on the host
> along with several guests.
>
> Anyway, my point was that the fabled library ABI stability of RHEL turned out
> not to work for VMware Server 2.0.   But CentOS did come through with
> bug-for-bug compatibility as promised, causing the same crashing behavior after
> the same minor-rev update.

I went through this a while back both at work and at home.  At work I
converted the whole shebang from VMware Server 2.0 over to KVM.  At home
I went with ESXi.  Both were fairly painless to do, though with ESXi you
need a Windows box to manage it.  Eventually, I'll probably convert the
home machine to KVM.  Maybe.  OTOH, I like not having a boot drive
(other than the SD card) on the box.

Hmm...

(thinking aloud) Is anyone doing KVM on a box from a USB stick or SD
card?  Saves a disk, and that's what VMware is doing with ESXi...

	-I