[CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:01:42 UTC 2011

On 2/25/11 7:33 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:36:28PM -0800, David Brian Chait wrote:
>>
>> I think you need to download the VI3 rather than 4.1 to use 32 bit support, but it does work. I have it in production on some older hardware and it has not let me down yet.
>
> I believe David is correct.  We had some old machines we were going to
> use with 4.1, but they were 32 bit and so we weren't able to use them.

There are cpus that are 64 bit (with the lm flag) but don't have hardware
virtualization (vt).   Not sure if they can run ESXi or not, but with
server/player they can run 32-bit guests only.  CPUs with the vt option (and in
some cases this can be enabled/disabled in the bios) can run 64-bit guests under
vmware server/player even if the host runs a 32-bit OS.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com