[CentOS] Octet

Always Learning centos at g7.u22.net
Sun Feb 27 23:48:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 10:48 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:

> the PDP-10 was in fact considered a mainframe in the 1960s.  They were
> more commonly called DECsystem-10, or KA10, KL10.   the CPU was multiple
> cabinets, the KL10 supported up to 4 megawords of ram (where a word was
> 36 bits).  They were commonly used as timesharing systems which was
> relatively uncommon in the late 1960s

What type of memory did it have?

At my second computer job in 1967 on a Honeywell H-120 (a baby machine
with 3 tapes which took 1 hour to do a Cobol compilation ... and then
another hour for a recompile to correct the 400 errors the Punch Room
had mysteriously added to 'verified' coding sheets) the memory was
magnetic cores using 3 wires physically through each hollow core or
ring. The memory total was, I think, octal 37777.

I can still read punch cards held upto the light to see where the holes
are :-)
--

With best regards,

Paul.