[CentOS] OT how to prevent oversubscription of a disk

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Jan 2 08:06:11 UTC 2011

On 01/01/2011 05:56 PM, Dave wrote:

> Is there a best practice? People have to be doing something!

I think that's unlikely.  If you don't "oversubscribe" your disk space
as a matter of policy, you'll force upgrades earlier than most people
would consider them necessary.  Most users, I'd expect, will be well
under quota most of the time.  You'd commit all of your disk space to
quota long before the space was actually used.  In your scenario, you'd
be required to expand the disk array whenever it was committed to quota,
even if actual use was very low.  Every site that I know of which uses
quotas handles disk upgrades when utilization requires it, not when
quota subscription does.