[CentOS] OT how to prevent oversubscription of a disk

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 01:36:13 UTC 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So, is it fair to rephrase that as "ignore quotas, pay attention to
>>> actual usage"?
>>>
>>> I agree that some degree of oversubscription is probably desireable,
>>> and it would be much easier to just add storage whenever it looks to
>>> be getting fullish. My situation right now makes that difficult -
>>> budget is gone, so I can't add storage, and my users sometimes start
>>> up a big simulation that could potentially fill the disk right before
>>> the weekend. If the hoggy simulation crashes itself, that's okay, but
>>> if it brings down a lot of other jobs submitted by other users, I look
>>> bad. I guess even if there was some good tool support, this task is
>>> doomed to make everyone unhappy.
>>
>> Maybe you can have the users run these in containers like OpenVz that are set to clean themselves up after they finish?
>
> Or use Amazon's elastic computing cloud to provision simulation VMs, run the simulations, report results, then completely disappear.

I was just thinking if you had a couple of base simulation disk images created for containers on LVM you could create clones (writable snapshots) for each container at the time they start, have the simulation run and when the container stops the snapshot can be destroyed, cleaning up the used disk space.

All this can be scriptable and can kick off via cron or 'at', or whatever.

-Ross