[CentOS] Converting to maildir

Dominik Zyla gavroche at gavroche.pl
Tue Jan 4 14:06:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:52:23AM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 20:17 -0500, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> > Looking for a guide on converting to Maildir.
> > Here are our relevant specs.
> > sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.6 (we may not be able to upgrade this due to too many
> > modifications)
> > imap-2002d-14
> > procmail-3.22-10.el3.centos.0
> > To a maildir setup...
> > <rant>
> > I was in a panic today at work because the backup server is filling up too
> > quickly, backing up peoples email. Further it is not backing up often enough. I
> > just lost all of today's email. I hate mbox and imap and outlook...
> > </rant>
> > All the maildir stuff I can find is postfix oriented.
>
> Because sendmail is rapidly fading into history?
>
> >  From what I can read in
> > procmail man pages, it supports maildir and sendmail uses procmail as the LDA,
> > hence sendmail "supports" it.
>
> There are numerous IMAP servers that support maildir, and scripts to
> import MBOX files - that is how I would approach it.  [But then I
> wouldn't use Maildir; I mean, really, who cares what format your
> messages are in - use IMAP and network access your message store.  Cyrus
> IMAPd will index and filter all your messages for you].

Many people care about storage format. Mbox is much more slower during
operations on it. It's because it's operate on single file, not several
of files. Maildir is only slower while opening it. But it depends on number
of messages in such a box which is equal to number of  descriptors system
must open while reading a box.

--
Dominik Zyla