[CentOS] Tar so slow! Is there anything faster?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:00:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 15:54, Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
> tar is normally screaming fast unless you use bzip2 compression (or gzip
> compression on an underpowered CPU).
>
> Provide details: What are you tarring, how are you invoking tar, what
> hardware are you running on (hard drive types, cpu type, etc).

Thanks, Jerry, I was in fact using bzip2:
$ tar -cjf dcl-2010-12-07.tbz dcl-2010-12-07/

I don't really need compressed, just archived (moving Linux files via
FAT-formatted external hard drive) so I ditched the j option and it's
now screaming along at almost 80 MiB/sec. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com