[CentOS] Configuring printers in CentOS 5

Glenn Eychaner

geychaner at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 17:10:11 UTC 2011

Could someone please explain to me how to best configure printers in CentOS 5?
I've been trying to configure a new printer, which is served by a Mac Mini:

If I open a web browser at localhost:631, or "system-configure-printers" and I configure
the new printer as an IPP printer, it winds up in a list of "Remote printers", and once it
winds up there I can't seem to delete the printer or change the settings at all.  If I try using
the system-config-printers interface, it's all greyed out; if I try using CUPS, it actually tries
to connect to CUPS on the Mini! In order to delete it, I have to manually revert the /etc/cups
files and restart the cups printing system in system-config-services.

I just don't understand printer configuration on Linux.  On the Macs, it's just plug and go.
Why does CentOS have to make it so confusing?

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory