[CentOS] Centos 5.5 - Kernel Panic while booting.

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Thu Jan 6 20:50:57 UTC 2011

Scott Silva wrote, On 01/06/2011 02:20 PM:
> on 1-5-2011 3:50 AM David Latham spake the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I make DVDs of Centos and any others for that matter, I take the
>> following steps:
>>
>> 1. Find an official torrent if possible.  (Centos has torrents for the DVD.
>> Unfortunately no Jigdo so far as I know.)
>>
> Jigdo is a Debianism... Don't know too many places outside of their community
> using it. It seems to be a cross between bittorrent and rsync...

from using it, I would say "bittorrent(assembly and sig checking portions) + rsync" does seem a
reasonable description.

It was used, at least for a while, on some Fedora spins and IIRC one or two fedora releases.
If you are maintaining a personal/local mirror, jigdo makes regenerating 'official' media very fast.
 And with fedora if you were mirroring the development repo before release, then jigdo meant you
could quickly have the  'official' media almost before a torrent could get it to you especially on a
slow link (yes I know we don't do those kind of partial pre-releases in CentOS world).

With CentOS they would be nice for those of us who mirror the whole tree and need media, so we could
only download the OS directory effectively one time instead of 3 times (os dir, cd media iso, DVD
media iso) and then jigdo to generate the iso's as needed.  Oh, and you also don't have fun with
broken proxies truncating DVDs that are 4GB like happened with CentOS 5.5.  Added bonus... unlike
bittorent, no ISPs block or mess with jigdo's traffic.

Granted, I don't know how much of the community would make use of them and they take some cpu+labor
time to generate.
--
Todd Denniston