[CentOS] if you install cgi programs from rpm, how to configure for actual use in /var/www/html ?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 04:31:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/2011 10:42 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> What is keeping it from working with the supplied:
> Alias /phpMyAdmin /usr/share/phpMyAdmin
> (i.e. to the install location)?
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

You mean to say it does work for you, as delivered? Or that it ought
to work for me, but you are just guessing?

In RedHat 6, at least, I cannot get ANY application to work if it does
not offer files up from /var/www/html (no matter what the http config
says).  I now *THINK* the reason is SELinux.  I understand http
configuration, SELinux is a whole different problem.  I  understand
the concept, but the tools to configure it are mysterious.  The system
will not offer things from /usr/share or whatnot, even if I alter the
httpd config to allow it. The mediawiki RPM comes along with an
httpd.conf file that tries to allow it.  But the system won't allow
it.  Today I realized will not allow symbolic links from /var/www/html
pointing into "safe" parts of the file system.

Yesterday I solved part of my mediawiki trouble.  mail from php/CGI
programs was not going to the users.  I found out that SELinux was
blocking mediawiki's attempted use of /usr/sbin/sendmail and learned
how to fix that (see:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk#SOLVED:_RedHat_6_SELinux_blocks_MediaWiki_from_using_sendmail_1892).

I have not been able to find anybody who is running Fedora or RedHat
with SELinux turned on who was able to use mediawiki as it was
delivered.  If it works for you, please raise your hand.

For example:

http://www.johnson.homelinux.net/mywiki/Installing%20and%20configuring%20MediaWiki%20for%20Fedora%2014

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how-to-install-mediawiki-on-fedora-9-a-677135/

http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/120-Productive-Monday-MediaWiki-Collaborative-publishing.html

It may just be that we are all following some mistaken example from
somebody who did not understand this any better than we do.

I had the same experience with phpMyAdmin.  Not in /var/www/html.  No Go.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science