[CentOS] Configuring printers in CentOS 5

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:07:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com> wrote:
> Could someone please explain to me how to best configure printers in CentOS 5?
> I've been trying to configure a new printer, which is served by a Mac Mini:

Is your Mac Mini configured to make the Printer available on the network?

> I just don't understand printer configuration on Linux.  On the Macs, it's just plug and go.
> Why does CentOS have to make it so confusing?

In Linux too it is pretty much the same.  You do need to have the
avahi packages installed, at least the client package.

In my setup, I have a Samsung 1640 connected to the USB port of a
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) desktop.  On the LMDE, the avahi
daemon is enabled.  The printer is visible/available on all the other
Linux desktops (avahi client package installed) when the printer is
powered on and users can print their docs. on it.

HTH,
-- Arun Khan