[CentOS] Set font and size in xterm

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jan 7 22:23:00 UTC 2011

> Robert Heller wrote:
> <snip>
> > This is *my* setup: my xterms have a green background, with black text,
> > a red cursor, an VT100 geometry of 80x38 (characters), with a scrollbar,
> > and using the font specified by
> > '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-1'.
> <snip>
> Here's a related question: I've played around in the past, but have never
> gotten it to work: I want to arrange *where* firefox and thunderbird come
> up on my screen. They don't *seem* to recognize -geometry.... Any idea?

You are basically out of luck, unless there is something in the depths
of .gtk<mumble> or .gconf<mumble> that handles this.

GNome / GTK applications don't look at the X11 database and don't take
any of the traditional X11 application command like arguments (even when
they are listed in the man pages for said applications!).