[CentOS] yum difference

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 00:24:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM, derleader mail <derleader at abv.bg> wrote:
>>> Red hat yum downloads packages from RHN
>>> Centos yum downloads packages from the fastest mirror?
>>>
>>> There is difference in configuration.
>>
>>Redhat uses yum rhnplugin to download packages from rhnet.
>>
>>It's only difference. rhnplugin is closed source system that ties into
>>rhn.redhat.com
>
> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/yum-rhn-plugin-0.9.1-5.el6.src.rpm
>
> Is this the package?

Yes, and it has a stack of dependencies to manage RHEL authentication.
Frankly, I always disable it except on a host that is downloading a
local RHEL mirror with "reposync", and which is my local yum
repository. That makes the components available to non-root users for
review and downloading, one of the great flaws of that plugin.