[CentOS] how to recreate eth0 - Realtek 8169sc

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Jan 10 09:49:17 UTC 2011

I love realtek - the resources they use tend not to conflict with other
cards or hardware, they don't use much cpu time, the drivers are mature, and
they don't cost much. What could be better? There does seem to be at least
one onboard realtek chipset that can have driver issues, but I use the 8169
without problems.

But hardware does fail. And any brand of nic can fail in odd ways. I'm
guessing you've swapped it out?

Bios settings can change if the on-board battery is dead and the system
loses power. (It can set to defaults) But bios settings rarely affect nics -
you're more likely to see boot problems from a change in drive boot
sequence.

I don't suppose you have a vpn on your lan? I noticed you use the
192.168.1.x address range, which is one of the most common ranges in the
world. If someone connects to your vpn from home or workplace, and if they
use the same range,  and if theres a bridge, addresses are going to
conflict.

If you delete your ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1 files, centos will recreate them
if it sees the nics at boot. But it tends to enable eth0 and disable eth1 or
higher. You should have backups of your originals for that reason...

I bet you wish you had a tcp/ip based kvm switch system about now...