[CentOS] how to recreate eth0 - Realtek 8169sc

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 13:46:34 UTC 2011

On 1/10/11 3:12 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>> My immediate hunch is ... and I'm sorry to say it ... but your NIC is
>> often referred to as Realcrap NICs - unfortunately that's not without a
>> reason.
>
> Thank you for the discrimination, but it's not appreciated. This is
> not a multi-million dollar enterprise cluster, so please don't see it
> as such. It's an in-house development server and really doesn't
> justify thousands of dollars' worth of hardware. The NIC was working
> fine for about 2 years now without a hiccup, out of the box when we
> first installed CentOS. Something went wrong, I just don't know how to
> actually fix it without re-installing CentOS :)

A quick check would be to boot a live-cd distro or the centos install disk in
rescue mode.  If the nic comes up that way it's something in your software or
configs; if it doesn't, it's hardware.

> So are you saying a spook accessed the BIOS of a machine which was
> running for about 3 years, without any hardware changes? I don't,
> ever, change BIOS settings once a machine is setup.

Stuff like that happens.  We've had a bunch of IBM servers that after running
several years would start crashing randomly - and would be fixed with a bios
update.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com