[CentOS] Kernel Errors Present

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Jan 12 21:39:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, compdoc wrote:

> From: compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Kernel Errors Present
>
> Bad sectors get reallocated automatically, so you might
> not find any with testing. You need to see how many have
> been reallocated.

Vivard disk diagnostic tool lists any sector read
erros, and a count of remapped sectors, if there are any
remapped.

> SMART should already be enabled, so maximize your term
> window and type:
>
> smartctl -a /dev/sdb
>
> That will show the reallocated sector count, as well as
> power on hours, and temps, etc. Do that for each drive.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   200   200   051
Pre-fail  Always       -       0

   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   093   090   021
Pre-fail  Always       -       2741

   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   099   099   040
Old_age   Always       -       1611

   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140
Pre-fail  Always       -       0

   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   200   200   051
Pre-fail  Always       -       0

No re-allocated sectors found.

> If its attached to a raid controller, you have to take
> additional steps as found on google.

No it's a standard IDE controller.

Looking in /proc/ide/ide2/hde/settings I find this:

name                    value           min             max
mode
----                    -----           ---             ---
----

pio_mode                write-only      0               255

using_dma               1               0               1
rw

wcache                  1               0               1
rw

I have tried to turn DMA off for this drive, using the
libata.dma=0 kernel boot parameter.

But it's still coming up as using_dma 1.

If I can turn DMA off for this drive, that might get rid of
the DMA error messages.

      hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStat ...:  12 Time(s)
      hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net