[CentOS] variable raid1 rebuild speed?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:41:09 UTC 2011

On 1/13/2011 10:23 AM, Kevin Thorpe wrote:

>>> Ummmm.... RAID is not a backup policy. Fine use hotswap and rsync or
>>> similar but you
>>> really shouldn't be relying on raid rebuilds for that.
>> These are backups to begin with.  It is the archive disk for backuppc which
>> contains millions of hardlinked files for the de-duplication it uses. It would
> Ouch! I understand now. Backuppc does leave an unholy mess of the
> filesystem.

It uses the filesystem as designed...  It's the file-oriented tools to
copy/reproduce hardlinks that don't scale well.

> Using RAID
> isn't a good solution but I guess is almost the only one that works.

I suppose it could be done with lvm snapshots or unmounting and using dd
or partimage, but being able to reconstruct on the fly is one of the
major features or RAID and something needed to make it useful at all.
Do you have some specific reason to say it isn't a good solution or are
you just repeating advice that raid shouldn't be your only backup?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com