[CentOS] hardware problem with 5.6

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 17:55:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:42:11PM +0000, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On 14/01/2011 17:22, mahmoud mansy wrote:

> > hey every one i got the centos 5.5  and the following problem occuered:
> > 1- the video display doesnot probe my card right.
> > 2- the wireless card doesnot installed .
> >

> > my laptop is dell studio1569:
> > (
>

> I would first check that your hardware is compatible with CentOS - I'd
> do that by going onto RedHat's site, and checking their supported
> hardware list, if its there, we have a winner, if not, then I think it
> would be acceptable to not expect it to work 100%. Because something
> works in ubuntu, or fedora, (both of which I consider "desktop" distros)
> doesn't mean that it'll work in all other versions of linux, because
> there are different kernel versions out there. Even kernel versions that
> are the same between distros, may have been compiled with different options.

There is the fact that the CentOS kernel is much older than the
Fedora/Ubuntu (and basically everything else) out there.  In many cases,
support for a driver may not be in the CentOS kernel, though it is in
the Fedora or Ubuntu kernels---as was said, those two are aimed towards
the desktop user and they are more concerned with supporting common,
more current hardware for laptops and such.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Principal Snyder: There are things I will not tolerate: students
loitering on campus after school, horrible murders with hearts
being removed. And also smoking.