[CentOS] Network bandwidth tools.

Cameron Kerr cameron at humbledown.org
Sun Jan 16 05:57:16 UTC 2011

It all depends on your requirements:

- what sort of questions would you like your solution to be able to answer? (can you give us  a few?)

- what monitoring infrastructure do you already have? (SNMP, for example, could be rather useful here)

- how much level of ad-hoc reporting do you require?

- you mentioned "incoming and outgoing network speeds", which doesn't necessarily refer to any web-specific analysis; is this what you meant?

Plenty of tools out there: ntop may be a good starting point.

	http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-ntop-on-rhel-centos-fedora-linux/

Netflow and SNMP would be my first points of call if I wanted something more.... infrastructural.

For ad-hoc use of TCP sessions, with a top-like experience, I would just break out tcptrack (there are RPMs available, but doesn't appear to be a Centos package)