[CentOS] Mount Point Ownership & Group

Manish Kathuria

mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Sun Jan 16 08:50:40 UTC 2011

I am facing problems assigning the owner and group to an ext3
filesystem being mounted from an external storage. I created a mount
point /vol and changed its owner and group  to alpha and beta
respectively (as required). The ext3 filesystem (LV from the external
storage) was then mounted on /vol using the mount command. However,
after mounting the filesystem the owner and group of /vol changed back
to root.

How do I ensure that the owner and group for this (and other) external
filesystem to be mounted dynamically are preserved as required ? The
mount options uid and gid don't seem to work for ext3 filesystems. Are
there any other options for this purpose?

Thanks,

Manish