[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 19:54:50 UTC 2011

On 1/16/11 1:32 PM, Digimer wrote:

> As for distro stability, it is true that Fedora/Ubuntu is not *as*
> stable as CentOS, but I use Fedora for my daily use laptop (I'm a
> sysadmin/programmer) and I've never had a major issue. By all means, try
> CentOS, but if you run into problems, please give Fedora or Ubuntu a try
> before abandoning Linux. They are much more up to date and have a much
> nicer user experience and hardware support.

Note that ubuntu has an 'LTS" (long term support) version that splits the
difference between the really fast moving releases and ones that go unchanged
for a decade.  I was pleasantly surprised a short time ago when I fired up my
dual-boot laptop into an old install of ubuntu 8.04LTS and it asked if I wanted
to upgrade to the newer 10.4LTS release, then proceeded to do it, automatically
and successfully.

There are, however, big differences in administration commands between Ubuntu
and Centos - but if you are just starting out that probably doesn't matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com