[CentOS] can't start iscsi - and can't find answer on google

Cameron Kerr cameron at humbledown.org
Mon Jan 17 16:28:41 UTC 2011

Okay, so we need to find out why it can't create its PID file.

First, run dmesg (and scan through the logs) to see if there is anything iSCSI or SELinux-related reported in the logs.

Then, try using strace to run the iscsi process, and see what the error code is (ideally, it ought to have been reported in the message). Something like the following may be useful:

(with root privs)
strace -f -e trace=file /etc/init.d/iscsi start

The error should be reported near the bottom (look for operations on /var/run/brcm_iscsiuio.pid)

It is my understanding that Centos/Redhat do some SELinux trickery to ensure that all processes can write their own PID file... perhaps some relabeling of the iscsid program is needed.

(disclaimer: I am not yet a SELinux expert)