[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jan 19 14:53:18 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Parshwa Murdia <b330bkn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I personally would recommend Ubuntu LTS for family members. CentOS is
>>> geared for technical people.
<snip>
> Ubuntu's focus is usability - that is, making the distribution easy to
> install and use.  Fedora may not admit it, but its real purpose is to
> be a testbed for Red Hat development with usability coming in a
> distant second.  CentOS would likely only be used as a desktop OS by
> people who also run servers and like everything to be the same.  They

I agree with Mike. I run CentOS at home... and at work, overwhelmingly. I
have Ubuntu on a netbook, because there's an Ubuntu remix specifically for
netbooks. I have issues with Ubuntu (I dislike the frequency of updates,
esp. of kernels), but I think if I ever get my fiancee on Linux, I'll give
her Ubuntu, as well.
<snip>
> Whatever you choose, be sure to set up some way to back up at least
> your locally created files onto different media.  This serves 2
> purposes: hard drives have short, random-length lives and regardless
> of the distribution you start with, you will eventually want to
> replace it or do a major version update that will wipe out your disks.

Which is why I *ALWAYS* have /home on at least a seperate partition.

         mark