[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jan 19 19:56:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 at 9:49pm, Rudi Ahlers wrote

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 at 11:44am, Bob Eastbrook wrote
>>
>>> By default, CentOS v5 requires a user's password when the system wakes
>>> up from the screensaver.  This can be disabled by each user, but how
>>> can I disable this system-wide?  Many of my users forget to do this,
>>> which results in workstations being locked up.
>>
>> Ctrl-Alt-Bksp will fix that right up.  I'm not a big fan of users leaving
>> workstations unsecured when they walk away.
>>

> Don't you mean CTRL+ALT+DEL?

That'd work too, but the reboot is unnecessary.  Ctrl-Alt-Bksp will just
kill the X server (and thus the user's session).  X will then respawn
itself and restart GDM.

> I don't think the OP wanted a plaster, he wants a solution :)

One person's solution is another's giant gaping security hole.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin