[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 20 16:19:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Benjamin, I'm sorry to say this, but you're wrong!

I'm fairly sure he's not.

> Now, since we're doing the name-calling thing, let's get that out of the way.
>
> Sometimes you need to access a PC of a staff member who is busy with
> something right now. And I'm not talking about administrative access.
> Sure, I can access any PC via root login, and frankly for that matter
> I can also reset any user's password via root login.

No, you don't.  You don't need access to their account, you need access to
data.  If the data you need access to is inaccessible from your account,
that's your issue.

> The message I'm trying to bring across is that users in the company
> shouldn't have passwords which admin doesn't know, or can't access.
> The PC's and data, well at least in our company, is the property of
> the company. Making it more difficult for an engineer to gain access
> to a user's PC automatically arises suspicion

You really should be talking about data not accounts here, as that's what
you're interested in as a company.  You certainly don't want to know all the
passwords.

jh