[CentOS] [OT] old kit and kaboodle, obFriday

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jan 21 19:43:43 UTC 2011

On Friday, January 21, 2011 02:35:40 pm Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 1:28 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > For that matter, I'm looking for a distribution I can put on DiskOnChip and run on some embedded PC104 5x86/133 systems I have..... :-)

> Except for things with specialized hardware adapters it just seems
> wasteful to power up any old stuff compared to running a virtual machine
> on something current and maybe giving it USB access to its own device.

Well, in this particular case it's for remote locations that are solar powered.  That and the embedded boxen draw 15 watts max and have the RS-485 interfaces I need to work with......oh, and they were free.

Ordinarily I would agree; provision a VM, and throw an AnyWhere USB out there and run the USB ports only in the remote, but ethernet-over-fiber connected, location.  But I don't need USB; I need RS-232 and RS-485.  The little PC-104/ISA boards (Advantech PCA-6144's and PCA 6145's) have ethernet; the 1RU and 2RU cases have RS-485 multiport muxes in them.