[CentOS] [OT] old kit and kaboodle, obFriday (was:Re: Is it okay?)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 21 21:40:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 02:38:28PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Friday, January 21, 2011 01:29:14 pm John R Pierce wrote:
> >> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >> model name      : Pentium III (Katmai)
> >> cpu MHz         : 451.031
> >
> > Being that it's Friday....
> > (note that this output isn't snipped; kernel 2.0.36 doesn't grab the CPU
> > frequency apparently!):
> > [root at localhost /root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor       : 0
> > cpu             : 586
> > model           : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
>
> Yup. I replaced my  very nice, thank you very much, K6-2 250 (or was it
> 300) processor when I rebuilt my system in '05 or '06. But then, I still
> miss my rock-solid CompuAdd 286 that I replaced in the early nineties....
> <snip>
> > I happen to know it's a K6-2 500.

Got one o'them, or maybe it's a K6-2/400 that I had overclocked. can't
remember. anyway, I ran a Smoothwall firewall box on it for a couple
years (after upgrading from a Pentium-90 which served for several years).
ran great! then in interests of saving money on my outrageous power
bill, I switched it out for a linksys WRT54GL which probably draws
about 1/10 or maybe 1/20 of the power.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.