[CentOS] Is it okay?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jan 21 21:57:32 UTC 2011

On 01/21/11 12:11 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:13:54AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 01/21/11 10:35 AM, Stephen Harris wrote:
>>> I replaced my old redhat 6 firewall (Pentium Pro) with a wrt54g around 7
>>> years ago when I realised just how much energy that machine was wasting
>>> spinning up hard disks and stuff.
>> wrt54's (I have a wrt54gs v1.0 doing  my wireless) are awfully slow
>> little processors.   I have considered and still may get around to
> It can handle my 30Mbit/s FIOS connection just fine, which is more
> than I think my old Pentium Pro could do :-)

huh, I'm surprised.   I've had trouble routing 10Mbit through them at
wire speeds.

The wrt54g(s) internally has a single 100baseT ethernet port attached to
a 6 port VLAN switch.   WAN vs LAN are done with vlan switching, so
effectively its a half duplex device.   The CPU is also brutally slow, a
200MHz MIPSel system-on-a-chip with no cache, and very narrow memory bus
with rather slow memory cycles.