[CentOS] Is it okay?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Sat Jan 22 03:14:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 10:29 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> model name      : Pentium III (Katmai)
> cpu MHz         : 451.031
>
> Yer not the only one.   this thing is my firewall/gateway/router, also
> DNS and DHCP, and is quite reasonably hardened.   yes, ipchains is
> starting to get stinky, but it works.   it started life as RHL 6.0, but
> got upgraded, and now has an bastard mix of stuff on it.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
cpu MHz         : 334.113

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)

Using this as a firewall too. Started out as a RHL 6.2 box with
ipchains, upgraded it to CentOS 4 when the hd gave up - upgraded the
firewall script for iptables -, then to CentOS 5 when yet another hd
died. This box has been running for over 10 years, I estimate for 8
hours a day on average, survived a flash fire in the power supply after
it gathered a bit too much dust but no other issues :)

Had to increase the amount of RAM when installing CentOS 4, but it's
mostly unused:

$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        255468     157688      97780          0      39360
70304
-/+ buffers/cache:      48024     207444
Swap:       987956          0     987956

Regards,
Leonard.