[CentOS] Could CentOS 5.5 on newer hardware make it freeze or shutdown?

cwlists

cwlists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 20:16:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
or instant power off. The /var/log/messages log doesn't reveal
anything of what has happened. The load has been either just idling or
with moderate disc activities (transfers over 100GBit). Below is the
hardware spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i5 650
RAM: CORSAIR 8 GB RAM
HDD1: Intel X25-M 80GB
HDD2-7: Samsung ECHOGREEN 500GB
ST LABS SATA/300 4-PORT PCI-E
PSU: Corsair CX 430W

I've also been running memtest86 for more than 24 hours without any errors.

I was on my way to return either the motherboard or the PSU when I
thought of installing Fedora 14 and give it a try. The PC has now been
running for over 48 hours without any glitch, with varying load.

I should also mention another problem that strangely disappeared with
F14, and that was that the Samsung HDDs, which I have in a soft RAID6,
now and then timed out (only one at a time). The message log showed a
dump of NCQ queued commands, before it reconnected that disk. In F14 I
haven't seen any errors at all in the log.

Could those problems only relate to C5, or do you think I also have
hardware problems and only been lucky so far with F14?

Best Regards,
Christian