[CentOS] Mount Point Ownership & Group

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:50:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> How do I ensure that the owner and group for this (and other) external
>> filesystem to be mounted dynamically are preserved as required ? The
>> mount options uid and gid don't seem to work for ext3 filesystems. Are
>> there any other options for this purpose?
>
> The ownership of the mount point is irelevant and has no effect on the
> ownership of the mounted file system.
>
> You need to change the ownership of the *file system* root directory
> itself.

And you need to have the privileges to do so. If it's an NFS mount,
and the NFS server has not included "no_root_squash" in the settings
of /etc/exports, you're not going to be able to change this from an
NFS client. The "root_squash" setting is enabled by default. You need
collaboration with the owner of the upstream filesystem to export it
appropriately to change this. The owner of the exported file system
should set this before exporting it.

Otherwise, anyone with local root privileges could change the
ownership of any casually exported NFS filesystem, and that would
be...... chaotic.

> Mount the ext3 filesystem and *then* change the owner and group.  Of
> course, whatever you set it to will be whatever it is on any other Linux
> system the volumn is mounted on.

See above. The "root_squash" setting is the default and prevents this
for NFS exports.