[CentOS] backup script

Edo ml2edwin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 08:36:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

Try the ff:

On 1/25/11 4:31 PM, madunix at gmail.com wrote:
> I want to create bash script to have a zip copy from a website running
> on linux /var/www/htdocs/* local on the same box on different
> directory
> I am thinking to do a local backup using crontab (snapshot my web)
> tar -cvzf /tmp/website-$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M).tgz /var/www/htdocs/*
> This command will create a file /tmp/website-20110101-1459.tgz
> I want it run on daily basis

Yes, just use crontab for that. Something like,

  30 6 * * * command-or-path-to-script-here

to run the command or script everyday 6:30 a.m.

> and to keep the last 5days backup on the
> box and remove older version than 5days.
> Can you point me out.

I think the easiest way is to use logrotate. man logrotate for details.

HTH,

- Edwin - mailto:ml2edwin at gmail.com
“Pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul
 and a healing to the bones.”—Proverbs 16:24