[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 25 18:00:24 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:
<snip>
> After 8 hours on Saturday I could sometimes see hubs in the
> neighbourhood but could not connect to my own hub using WPA2.
>
> 	iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> produced technical details of local hubs - but still could not connect.
> NetworkManager sometimes froze.
>
> Spent many hours Googling for his wifi adaptor Altheros AR928K which
> uses a driver known as ATH9K.  Many others have had a similar problem.
> Kernel 2.6.27 apparently includes this driver but Centos 5.5 is 2.6.18.

About 5 years ago, I had to install a wireless card in my tower, and it's
an ATH9xx, I *think* - I can check this evening, if that's relevant. I was
running SuSE, and had to find drivers from madwifi. A few minutes of
googling found...
<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5>, where the
module's been backported to RHEL5.

         mark