[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 25 18:27:10 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:
> Mark wrote:-
>
>> About 5 years ago, I had to install a wireless card in my tower, and
>> it's an ATH9xx, I *think* - I can check this evening, if that's
relevant. I
>> was running SuSE, and had to find drivers from madwifi. A few minutes of
>> googling found...
>> <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5>, where the
>> module's been backported to RHEL5.
>
> Golly !
>
> I'm a Linux novice (started last June). Can I literally install one of
> those rpm on the laptop and that should, hopefully, cure everything ?

One should hope. An rpm - R(edhat)P(ackage)M(anager) are packages of
files, with configuration, etc, run during the install, meaning you should
only need minor tweaks, if at all, to the configuration files to have them
go. Kernel modules, AFAIK, during the install, are usually autoconfigured
to load.

> Thank you very much. I would prefer a Centos solution and then
> everything is the same O/S and simpler to maintain.

You do understand the relationship of CentOS to RHEL, right?

        mark