[CentOS] kickstart and grub parameters

Keith Keller

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jan 25 22:05:01 UTC 2011

Hey list,

I recently started working with kickstart.  It is awesome!  I really had
no idea how easy it would be to use.

I do have one strange issue, that's really not that important, but that
I'd like to figure out.  I like to watch all the kernel boot messages go
by in text mode by default, and when I've set up a box in the past, I've
modified grub's menu.lst file to remove all the GUI components of the
boot.  But when I try this from a kickstart-installed box, either from a
%post section or manually, I still get (mostly) the GUI boot process.

Here's my relevant menu.lst exerpts: first, the one working the way I
like:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.11.4.el5)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.img

Then, the one not behaving the way I expect:

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-53.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.el5.img

I'm not sure why they're behaving differently; AFAICT the two are the
same modulo the kernel version.  Any suggestions for what I can look at
next?

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us