[CentOS] Package updates for 5.4?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:56:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> As per the Redhat Virtualisation Expo yesterday... API/ABI
> compatibility is maintained within the point releases. If your stuff
> is certified on 5.4 it will run on 5.5/5.6.
>
> In addition there are compatibility libraries to get anything running
> on 5.X on 6.0... and when you move to 6.0 then anything running on 6.0
> will run on 6.X.

This... is theory. In practice, major architectural changes will break
things and need to be tested. For example, the anaconda environment
for RHEL 6 does not contain the "dirname" command. The environment for
RHEL 5 did. I anticipate that CentOS 6 will also lack it. Who would
know that without testing their kickstart scripts? And don't get me
started on the NetworkManager related changes in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts: the new "NM_CONTROLLED" option can
cause enormous confusion.