[CentOS] CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot [SOLVED]

Sat Jul 16 02:01:43 UTC 2011
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca>

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 10:07 -0400, DV wrote:
> I would try the bios setting AHCI (vs. compatibility mode) if you have it.
>
> http://www.911cd.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t23099.html
>
> This is the SATA Advanced Host Controller Interface:
>
> http://www.techmetica.com/howto/sata-ahci-mode-bios-setting.-what-does-it-do/

I have all of the SATA channels set to AHCI mode, which includes the
Pioneer burner.  I was thinking that maybe I should try changing the
BIOS setting to IDE, but then tossed it aside as crazy talk.

After your email, I decided to change the DVDRW drive's SATA channel to
IDE mode.  Bingo! The CentOS 6 DVD booted.  I have CentOS 6 running and
fully updated now.

I haven't looked into why the SATA Pioneer DVDRW needed AHCI disabled in
order to boot off the CentOS 6 DVD. Since the Fedora 15 DVD booted
without issue, I can only surmise isolinux in CentOS 6 and in Fedora 15
behave differently.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help out.  I appreciate everyone's
efforts.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux