[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

Thu Jul 28 17:54:16 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 06:23 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Its the "References:" header that controls threading in mail clients
> that support it.   I'm using thunderbird, and afaik, it won't revert to
> Subject based pseudo threading in the absence of References.   Subject
> line changes don't break the thread, which is why using 'reply' and
> changing the subject to start a new thread makes a mess wherre the new
> thread is buried in the original that it was in reply to....

there is a mix of what all are used, its mostly the in-reply-to that is
supposed to be used, akait. References is also there, but introduced
much later ( was it down to a Microsoft feature that they insisted get
into the rfc ? ).

See what your mail.strict_threading and mail.thread_without_re are set
to; if you disable threading by subject, a very very large number of
emails will lose thread sanity on this list.

setting reply and changing subject does not change threads if your mail
client is already doing the right thing. My argument here is that not
all mail clients do, therefore sticking with subject line sanity would
help increase the number of threads that can stay together.

- KB